Thursday, December 01, 2005

Play Practice: Day 1

Back in 1986 or so, I was in a musical called "Off the Wall." Or "Up the Wall" or "On the Wall" or some damn thing, I really don't remember. It was a conglomerate of skits and songs designed to clue the modern audience into the perils and perks of being a young adult in the eighties. The extent of my involvement, to be honest, went little farther than background chorus and two lines:
"But really, what's with kids today?"
and
"I think I hear him coming!"
Who he was, I have no idea any more. I don't think I ever did. Actually, I have no idea what the play was about. I spent most of the time staring out the window and daydreaming about being Batman.

I went to my first chorus practice in almost twenty years tonight, with many more to come. We're doing a production of a musical where both faculty and students get to match vocal and acting talents in an effort to draw butts into the seats and raise money for charity. At least, that's what Jenny told me--it could be very well that she was lying and just wanted to get me in the chorus to make a jerk of myself.

I can't speak for the wide suburban audience we're currently pandering to, but I know of at least three friends and a few family members who will show up just to ensure themselves that I wasn't feeding them a load of shit about not being able to make the bar that night. "Nope, going to be busy singing 'She's Gonna Be the Bride'" must not have sounded like a realistic excuse. Go figure.

I'm not going to mention the title of the production--figure it out yourself--except to mention that my character is "The Colonel." With speaking parts. So I expect that will be my new cool nickname, replacing the embarassing "Puddles" nickname that's haunted me since summer camp, seventh grade.

Side note: Mick is married. Just found out. God help us all.

1 comment:

Adira Fairuz said...

Helo Come Join With Us N Get Big Big Bonus adu ayam online