Wednesday, December 07, 2005

More chorus practice

Word to the wise: Don't try to hold an E-flat note in bass baritone after two beers in a smoky bar.

Two kids wanted to know if I'd been running a marathon. Director told me to stop crying, be a man, and bring it up to falsetto level. The room was spinning and my palms were sweating, but I managed to blurt out the words in a singing voice that makes a torture victim sound like Maria Callas: "He's just an ordinary not so very nary wary mortuary...man!"

"That's two beats on the last syllable," called the chorus director. "No passing out until then. Get up and get ready to sing the square dancing number."

I may be in over my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some would argue callas actually did sound like she was tortured! Ever hear her hit a high c?

Digger Blue said...

Can't say I have. But I heard myself, and belive me--people would not be taking standing room to listen to yours truly.