Monday, June 23, 2008

SCHEWL--You come in to do work. You really do. It may not be rip-roaringly important, but by God, you're an educator and you take your duties seriously. How many other assholes out there actually work during vacation? Exactly.

(Besides, I don't get internet at home until next week.)

And then you see what maintenance has done to your room in the meantime:

This is my room. Normally the desks are organized and kids are in them. But as far as the activity level, it's about the same.

It's like karma is telling you, "Go out. Get some sunshine. You know, that stuff you never see from August to May? Take a book, take a walk, smell the air. Nothing here can't wait."

Well, I'm strong. I'm tough. I can handle temptation. I settle down to work.

What finally gets me out the door is an administrator leaving for the day. At ten a.m. To go to a ball game. With a smile on his face and no work to take home in his bag.

This is a dean. See how happy he is to leave early? You mock me, Mr. Dean.

Screw this. I'm for the movies.

2 comments:

Digger Blue said...

P.S. The Incredible Hulk rocked! Totally worth skipping work.

Anonymous said...

aarrgghh! i so remember those days ... *shudder ... i swear my spine has straightened out since i no longer wear large boxes full of marking, planning, reading for/from next/last 6 meetings, blah blah *ppfftt ...

didn't know whether to applaud your initial resistance to temptation or throw a bottle of tequila atcha! fortunately wisdom came through *grin